"THE IMPORTANT THING IS THIS: TO BE ABLE AT ANY MOMENT TO SACRIFICE
WHAT WE ARE FOR WHAT WE COULD BECOME." --Charles Dubois

Friday, February 26, 2010

Beauty Burdens

In line with my new-found love of feminism, I went to a salon and chopped off my hair! Cliché? A little. Freeing? YES! I've explained the drastic change to others as a rejection of the burdens that society puts on women in order for women to be beautiful. To which one co-worked replied "you're about sixty years too late!" This is true, but now I am also able to dance and lie on the floor without a ponytail getting in the way!

But this got me thinking about all the ways in which women are burdened in order to be beautiful (should any woman choose to conform to the US concept of beauty). I began a list:
  1. Long hair, as mentioned above. Which takes more shampoo, more products, more time, can be grabbed (for fun and not for fun), and can get stuck in doors/jackets/fingers.
  2. Long nails. How do long nails help women? And then we are expected to paint their nails, which always leads to annoying chips.
  3. High heels. Yes, we become taller, but then we walk slower, sink into the grass, turn our ankles, and injure our shins.
  4. Dangly earrings. While I often wear these, I worry about them catching in a foreign object and tearing my earlobe.
  5. Dresses and skirts. All right, this one has both pros and cons. We can go to the bathroom easily, and stay cool in the summer. However, we are cold in the winter and must watch out so that we do not show off our panties.
  6. Thongs. Duh.
  7. Giant diamond rings. As someone who has recently become engaged, I'm hesitant to go for the big rock. Besides the controversy over diamonds and the cost, I just know that I would scratch myself on the face and probably dent furniture with it.
This is non-comprehensive. I'm open to more ideas.

In the vein of inclusion, I have also started compiling a list of ways in which men are burdened to be "handsome":
  1. Neck ties. I imagine that these can get stuck, pulled, and dropped in food.
This is also probably non-comprehensive. Let me know if you think of anything. But why are the "beauty norms" of today's women disproportionately lacking in function and logic? Who solidified these norms? Where do we draw the line between fashion and function?

1 comment:

  1. Hey Rae - I've just been reading through your blog while I wait here in the airport. It's very well written! Nice job.

    I always like to look at the cross section of gender and race as well. Some of the sociological images posts on white standards of beauty and the way many mainstream non-white celebrities have altered their appearances (or had them altered on photoshop, whether they wanted it or not - http://contexts.org/socimages/2008/08/07/mainstreaming-beyonce/) are quite striking. And even when we decide that non-white women are beautiful, it's often boxed into the "exotic" category.

    And of course men! I can think of a few things...
    1. Baldness. So many men go bald and can be quite insecure about it. Rogaine?
    2. Height and muscle mass. Being taller and physically stronger than your female partner is very important. Plus here's the double standard for women - very tall and muscularly built women are either not attractive or gussied up in a way that "allows" them to be attractive (http://contexts.org/socimages/?s=serena+williams)

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete