"THE IMPORTANT THING IS THIS: TO BE ABLE AT ANY MOMENT TO SACRIFICE
WHAT WE ARE FOR WHAT WE COULD BECOME." --Charles Dubois

Friday, February 26, 2010

Introduction

Welcome to Rae's Ruminations!

I recently became interested in feminist theory and the sociology of gender. I feel a little late in my new obsession (read: 22 years old), but I've reminded myself that some people take much longer to come upon these topics. Therefore, I push along my internet, and occasionally book, self-directed education on the topic. I am particularly interested in third-wave feminism, the promotion of gender norms in the media and society at large, and the connections we can make to the public school system.

After some time of reading, thinking, and discussing, I come to another part of the learning cycle: writing. I intend to use this blog to formulate my learning into written form. One of my main goals in educating myself on these issues is to be capable of speaking out to those who trample on the ideals of equality, feminism, and acceptance. Perhaps this is my 'practice ring' for addressing these issues in real-life-encounters. In addition, I will soon enter a Master of Arts in Teaching program for middle/high school language arts, and I hope to learn how to bring these egalitarian views into the classroom.

And then she went to work...

No comments:

Post a Comment